It’s summer, and the livin’s easy
… or not always! While you might experience a natural mood boost from the increased amount of time spent outside with your friends doing the things you love, the truth is, your mental health doesn’t take a break.
Think of your brain as a muscle. It’s crucial to continue to exercise and take care of it, even when things are seemingly all good. Finding a self-care routine that works for you during the summer will help when it comes to maintaining positive mental health practices year-round.
Here’s a list of summertime self-care activities:
- Spend time outside in the sun! Natural sunlight is known to boost your vitamin D and serotonin levels, with both acting as a mood booster.
- Go to your local farmer’s market and pick out some fresh fruits and veggies. They make for the perfect healthy summer snack to fuel your body throughout the day! An added plus: you’ll be supporting local businesses.
- Stay hydrated & drink water. With the high summer temperatures, it’s extra important to make sure you don’t get dehydrated. Your body will thank you for it!
- Plan a getaway. It doesn’t have to be a journey to somewhere far, but summer is the perfect time to explore all that the world has to offer and focus on taking care of yourself.
- Go on a hike! Spending time in and reconnecting with nature nourishes the soul. Bonus points if you bring your yoga mat and spend some time journaling and/or meditating.
- Make time for friends and family. Enjoy a picnic in the park, or a BBQ in your backyard with the people who lift you up!
- Take yourself on a date. Although summer is typically the season when we spend a lot of time being social, it’s imperative that we take time to also be with ourselves. Go to a museum, treat yourself to that movie you’ve been dying to see, book yourself in for a massage. Do whatever you need to show some love to yourself!